This recipe actually comes from Brooke at What’s Up Mom’s! They did a lot of experimenting to find the perfect recipe for play dough. I have tried a couple of recipes myself and nothing is as good as this one. Here are step-by-step instructions on how to make it!
Here is what you’ll need:
- A mixing bowl
- A nonstick skillet
- A spoon for mixing
- Zip lock bags for storage
- 1 C flour
- 1/4 C salt
- 2 t cream of tartar
- 1 C water
- 1 T coconut oil (or vegetable)
- Food coloring (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, add in your dry ingredients.
- Add in your water and stir until combined.
- Preheat your skillet and heat up your oil on medium heat.
- Constantly stir until your mixture comes together (should take a few minutes).
- Remove from heat and turn out onto some parchment paper.
- Knead your dough until smooth, roll into a ball, and then flatten into a disc. If you aren’t going to dye your dough, then place into an airtight container or zip lock bag and store at room temperature.
- If you wish to dye it, divide your dough. I divided mine in 3 and dyed them red, blue, and green. If using liquid food coloring, you’ll need roughly 5-7 drops. Push the dough with the heel of your hand to stretch it and distribute the color. Fold and repeat until it is all one color. Store and have fun!