My kids and I wanted to make salt dough ornaments for their grandparents. It was really fun! I will share the final result after we decorate them, but here is how you make them…
- 2 cups all purpose flour (you will need 1/2 to 1 cup more for kneading and rolling)
- 1 cup of table salt
- 1 cup of water
- Mix your ingredients in a bowl. If your mixture is too sticky (it likely will be), add more flour.
- Once it comes together to form a dough, turn it out onto a floured surface.
- Knead for a few minutes.
- Flour your surface and your rolling pin.
- Roll dough into a ball and then roll out with your rolling pin to about 1/2 inch thickness.
- Using either a knife to trace a circle or a bowl, cut out your circle in whichever size fits your little one(s) hand.
- Place cut-outs on a parchment lined cookie sheet and place in fridge or freezer just to firm up slightly.
- Flour your child’s hand and press into your cut-out.
- Place your ornaments into an oven preheated to 265℉ for 30-40 minutes (possibly longer…just make sure it is no longer doughy).
- Let cool. Ornaments will harden as it cools.
- Once completely cool, decorate however you wish. You can paint the handprints, use glitter, etc.
Hope you enjoy! I hope you all had an awesome Thanksgiving!